Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Trust Is An Issue With Tod Maffin

Tod shares, and finally puts some effort into his latest blog post ...

I ran into this policy more than once, working as DNTO’s western producer. Working on consumer-rights stories, I’d asked permission to record wearing a hidden microphone. I had to make my pitch to the head of news and each time I was turned down because the stories weren’t deemed to illustrate significant enough public trust.

Tod probably meant to say "enough public IN-TRUST", as in "interest", which is not spelled with a "u".

Of course, I was pissed off, but in retrospect, the CBC made the right call. After all, I worked in A&E (arts and entertainment), not news.

(Side note: With the help of six freelancers, I produced a documentary called “24 Hours at Hamburger Mary’s” — finding the stories of people who visit the Vancouver diner. The network killed the piece because I failed to tell the freelancers to get people’s last names. I still am bugged by that one.)


Getting last names is vital, in order that people take responsibility for what they are saying.
Otherwise the whole documentary could just as well be a work of fiction, as Tod's productions sometimes are.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

perhaps you might like to rename the blog to 'Tod Maffin Drools' sh*t, where does the corp find these people in the first place. I've lost 'almost' all faith in the CBC, I shouldn't have to listen to dykes with attitude, or pseudo-intellectuals espousing pop culture, who needs to be in the know? I know the corp needs a younger audience, but couldn't it specify that it wants an audience with an IQ above room temperature. Heck, radio noon sounds like it is populated with 'disembodied voices' from Don Mills. Bring back the language police, bring back Allan McFee and Max Ferguson, or the closest to their sensibilities! The sad passing of Lister Sinclair changed forever the quality of broadcasting in this country. The man could do more with a four syllable word than all of the Radio One Saturday staff voices combined.
I for one do not like, nor appreciate the 'dumbing-down' that seems to be the new agenda.
Alphonse Fahrtzmeller
a friend in broodcasting

Anonymous said...

any response yet Mr. Humble

Allan Sorensen said...

I had thought that you were sufficiently eloquent without any need for me to expand.

You have of course hit the nail on the head. The CBC, at least at it's core, is a huge disappointment.
But the saddest is to consider what it could be compared to what it is.

Forgive me for not acknowledging your presence and strong voice.
I read all the comments - even Tod's.

Anonymous said...

It reminds me of Holmes returning to #221B Baker St. after having seen his own physician. Watson asks, "Did they find any albumin in your urine?, Holmes? Holmes looks pleafully to Watson and says affirmatively, "Yes John they did, what now, what now my friend" Watson looks at Holmes and retorts, "Ah, sedimentary my dear Holmes!"

Thanks for the heads up at least...what part of the universe are you situated? If you don't mind the query

Allan Sorensen said...

Some of the time in Vancouver, but most often in Toronto

Anonymous said...

I'm currently posted to the island of St.Pierre off the southern coast of Newfoundland. It is very C-O-L-D here at the moment. I've bee to both of your homes, very nice!
Cheers to you Pilgrim

What's your problem?

Tod Maffin's version of absolute power.
I wrote a comment at a famous blog.
Tod didn't like it, and took the intial steps of legal action to have it removed.
He was successful.

It made me an unhappy camper.
And I happen to really like it here.